Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Gentleness of Wisdom

Sometimes life seems less than a paradise. But then again, it's still life. Today the fruit flies were buzzing about and being annoying in the stale heat of an afternoon without trade winds, and I forgot that all last week we enjoyed cool rainy weather. There were only chores to do and nowhere to go. So I've been a bit pessimistic lately. And I need to stop it.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth. This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, natural, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace." ~ James 3:13-18.

I've been learning today that I have stored bitter jealousy and selfish ambition my heart. What is this gentleness of wisdom that I am missing? And why wasn't I born with it... 

I have to remind myself of the story of Lucy Goodale Thurston, missionary wife to Hawaii. She left all she knew to start a new life on the other side of the world. Things were a lot harder for her than they are for me. And yet she had the courage of a lion and the gentleness of wisdom. You can read more of her story here.

Before the day was done, I went for a walk just because I couldn't stand being under a ceiling any longer. The sun beamed the last of its rays in a golden light on all the brightness of the perpetual summer around me. So maybe life is a paradise after all; it's just not what we think it will be...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...