Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snow Addiction

If you know me at all, you know that I am a snow addict. Little did I realize when I moved to Hawaii that Snowoholics Anonymous has such a small attendance here. Not much moral support, if you know what I mean. But I find consolation my own way - it takes a bit of concentrated effort, but I'm happy to say that I've survived three years without the pleasures of frozen toes and snowy skies to brighten my day. My methods are perhaps out of the norm, and I rather think I am the only one in Hawaii who dares carry books with frosty titles (such as Snow,which I am currently perusing) to the beach on sunny days.



January is a very exciting time for snowoholics. The rush of Christmas is over and the world can settle in and wait for the snow. With all the recent snowpocalypses on the mainland, I feel a silent urge to be in the midst of it all. Snowboarding in Breckenridge - or ice skating in New York City - or even curling in Minnesota. If snow is somehow involved, I'm in. Too bad that bridge over the Pacific hasn't been built yet. My only release: the Winter X Games. As you may know, the X Games are the most Xciting, Xhilarating, Xtreme sports event on television. I realize I may have gotten a bit overexcited this year, especially since I got asked the question "What's with you and the X Games?" (as if I were dating them) and since I've been thinking in strange terminology lately (like, "so stoked to sit on this gnarly couch, watching sick tricks get stomped"). Healthy? Perhaps not, but in the long run, I feel like I've lived a little winter. Here's a clip of my favorite part of the X Games this year, when Torstein Horgmo landed a triple cork (first time ever in competition):



In case you've been wondering how the weather's like in Hawaii right now, don't ask. You don't want to know. All I can say is, I feel like I'm living in Jumanji. For instance, this is what the setting looks like:


But wait, there's more! Not only do you get the tropical lushness and equatorial sunshine, but order now and you will receive your choice of household slugs slogging down the hallway!

I actually thought this guy was sort of cute, but I still tossed him outside. No one wants to step on a slug with bare feet!




3 comments:

  1. I never knew anyone could actually be addicted to snow (shakes head) Wish I could send you some of ours, and you could send me some of your tropical warmth. But you can keep the slug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooow. What a slug... barefeet?? Ick. Yucky thought. I really, really don't like slimy things.... Sorry there's not snow for you. :/ While I way prefer the summer, I enjoy snow a lot, too. But right now, it's not enjoyable. You can't do anything outside, cause it's *so stinkin cold.* We'll be in Grand Lake mid February, though, so hopefully there'll be a lot of snow there. We'll rent a cabin with family and go tubing and sledding and such. And of course some game we'll play every other hour that then becomes a game you never *ever* want to play again. *sigh* Tradition. :) Mandie's told me how you guys used to go there, too. I've never been in the summer, but I do *love* being there in the winter. I'm really excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @okiewife Feel free to send me the snow - freezer packs might be a good idea though :)

    @Rachel One time I stepped on a cockroach with bare feet - not fun... I heard it has been super cold in Colorado! Grand Lake is an awesome place - have a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...